Creamy Lemon Basil Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp ~ Whole 30
If any of you follow me on Instagram, then you know that I’m currently in the midst of Whole30. In fact, yesterday I hit the midway point! Just 15 more days to go, and honestly, I’m feeling great and enjoying the change. No dairy, no sugar, no grains, no legumes, no soy, no alcohol…..cutting all of that out after the gluttony of the holidays was a welcome change.
Today I won’t spend too much time going into all the details – I’m saving that for when I get to the end of this challenge- but for now, I do want to share one of our favorite recipe discoveries with you as several people have requested it after seeing it on my Instagram story a few days ago.
Credit for this particular recipe goes to PlateJoy, a menu planning service that I’ve been using for the past several months. With its dietary customization capabilities, I’ve been able to switch our profile to ensure I’m only receiving Whole30 recipes every week, and there have been some really great ones- particularly this dish.
If you’re cooking for your whole family, or a larger group of friends, this Creamy Lemon Basil Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp can easily be doubled to serve four to five people, as you only use half of the spaghetti squash for this two serving recipe. Even with half a spaghetti squash, we usually have a little of the squash left over as it makes quite a large serving. Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Creamy Lemon Basil Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp
- 7 oz large shrimp (14-16 shrimp), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 spaghetti squash (you’ll use only half)
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil in pan on medium high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with salt & pepper, and add to pan.
- Cook the shrimp, stirring frequently, until they are pink and opaque. This typically takes about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half, scrape out seeds and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place facedown (flat side) on a plate and microwave 8-12 minutes, stirring and rotating at the 5 minute mark. Scrape the “noodles” out of the skin with a fork. (This step can be done ahead, with the squash stored in an airtight container in the fridge overnight.)
- Meanwhile, zest and juice the lemon. Peel avocado.
- Combine avocado, basil, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, juice of the lemon, dried oregano and olive oil in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
- Top spaghetti squash with shrimp. Spoon sauce over and toss to coat.