Perhaps it’s not the most beautiful dish in the world. Maybe it doesn’t even sound that interesting. It’s definitely not fancy.

But it’s fantastic. Beyond fantastic even. I can tell you without hesitation that it is one of my absolute favorite family dishes.

Oddly enough, even though I’ve had the recipe in my possession for years, I had never made it myself until recently. And it’s not because it’s difficult- in fact, quite the contrary. It’s über simple.

No, the reason I’d never made it was because I was scared that once I did, it wouldn’t be special any more. For years and years, it has been my Aunt Gay’s Sausage Casserole that I eat at Thanksgiving and Christmas. That’s it. In the days leading up to the holidays, I start thinking about it. I get excited.

If I made it myself, would it still hold the same allure?

Now I know that the answer is yes.

This Christmas, when I was hosting my husband’s family for the first time, I took the plunge and made it. Compliments rang from all sides of the table. People went back for seconds. The dish was scraped clean.

And it’s still special. Very special indeed.

Sausage and Wild Rice Casserole

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:

1 box Uncle Ben's Wild Rice (cooked according to package directions)
1 lb sausage (cooked and drained)
1 can Golden Mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix all ingredients and put in a casserole dish.

Bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

Important Note: The soup is GOLDEN mushroom soup. Not cream of mushroom.

40 Responses to “Sausage and Wild Rice Casserole”

1. 1

Shannon — January 25, 2012 @ 7:54 am

Oh my goodness. That looks amazing. I’m totally bookmarking this one for sure! Thanks for sharing.

• Beth replied: — January 25th, 2012 @ 8:03 am

Soooo good and it’s crazy how easy it is! I’m almost ashamed to admit that I’ve had it three more times since Christmas. Almost ;-)

2. 2

Rebecca McKay — January 25, 2012 @ 8:35 am

What kind of sausage to you use? Want to make this for dinner tonight. I just recently discovered your blog because of my sister-in-law, Laura. It’s fantastic!!!

• Beth replied: — January 25th, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Hi Rebecca- welcome! I actually buy my sausage direct from a farmer in my hometown. It’s a country style with a bit of spicy pepper seasoning. I really don’t think it matters what kind you use- really just whatever you prefer normally!

3. 3

A Rocky Top Stroll | No Silence Here — January 25, 2012 @ 9:05 am

[...] Sausage and Wild Rice Casserole [...]

4. 4

Lesley — January 25, 2012 @ 11:48 am

Hey Beth this sounds super yummy! Do you think this could be made ahead and frozen?

• Beth replied: — January 25th, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

I’ve never tried it, but I would think so…

If you test it out, please report back and let me know!

5. 5

Ally Garner — January 25, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

This looks crazy delicious. Can’t get over how it’s only 4 ingredients… and that I have most of them in my pantry. This is a perfect side dish for the walnut chicken & salad I’m making tonight. I’ll tweet you what we think! Thanks Beth!

• Beth replied: — January 25th, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

I know, so easy, right?! Hope you enjoy!

6. 6

Camels & Chocolate — January 25, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

This looks phenomenal–and something I could easily whip up!

7. 7

Rebecca McKay — January 25, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

Just made it for dinner! So amazingly good!!!! For someone who doesn’t cook, it was so easy, and so tasty. I can’t wait to make this for family who typically run when I attempt to feed them.

• Beth replied: — January 25th, 2012 @ 6:41 pm

haha. That made me laugh out loud! So happy to give have provided you with a recipe they won’t run from ;-)

8. 8

Traciwilbur — January 25, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

This is insanely delicious! Made it tonight & it was perfect because we were all rushing in for dinner, I served with salad and Parker house rolls – everyone asked for seconds. I also have a few meals in mind where it will make an excellent side dish. Plus, I learned about the magical Golden Mushroom soup….who knew?

• Beth replied: — January 25th, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

yay! so glad you loved it! Maybe Publix will now quit hiding the Golden Mushroom soup ;-)

9. 9

cara @ City Girl Chicago — January 26, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Beth you’ve done it again! Convinced me that super simple can sometimes be just downright utterly delicious. From your description, this sounds like such a crowd pleaser I’m sure I will test it out on my own family soon. :)

10. 10

C — January 26, 2012 @ 11:23 am

Is Mushroom Soup the same as cream of mushroom? I’m not sure I’ve seen canned Mushroom Soup but I know I’ve seen cream of mushroom.

• Beth replied: — January 26th, 2012 @ 3:19 pm

No, it’s GOLDEN mushroom soup- completely different than cream of mushroom. Campbell’s makes it, and it should be with all the rest of the soups.

11. 11

Seniqua — January 27, 2012 @ 11:17 pm

I’m not a fan of mushrooms. Is there a substitute soup? Thanks

• Beth replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Hi Seniqua-
      I’m not sure if there is anything that will give you quite the same flavor or consistency. In my opinion, it doesn’t really taste of mushroom at all. The soup itself does not have bits of mushroom either- it’s just a creamy soup.

You could try some other things, but I can’t vouch for the final outcome! However, if you do experiment and find a substitution that you like, please come back here and let me know!

12. 12

1/29 Menu « taylorseast — January 29, 2012 @ 7:13 am

[...] 2- Sausage Rice Casserole with side [...]

13. 13

Scarlett — January 30, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

I made this over the weekend and it was AMAZING!!!! Thanks for sharing!

14. 14

Megan Kates — January 31, 2012 @ 7:39 am

I made this recipe last night and it was super easy and oh so delicious! Thank you for sharing!

• Beth replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 8:53 am

You’re welcome! Glad that you enjoyed!

15. 15

Christan — January 31, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

First time to your site to get this recipe through pinterest. I made this tonight and my hubby loved it! Pretty easy, too! Thanks for a great recipe post/idea!

• Beth replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 8:53 am

So happy to hear that you loved it as much as we do!

16. 16

Oree — May 18, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

Almost every recipee on your blog is Pinteresting! I will try them all and report back. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Beth replied: — May 19th, 2012 @ 9:37 am

Thanks Oree!! Glad you’re enjoying :-)

17. 17

Debbie — June 19, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

Made this a few weeks ago, and had to tell you everyone loved it. Will be making this again soon. Thanks for the recipe.

• Beth replied: — June 20th, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Thanks for coming back and letting me know Debbie! Glad you enjoyed :-)

18. 18

Angie Border — September 18, 2012 @ 10:42 am

Made this and it was awesome!! Thanks for sharing!

19. 19

Susan McDonald — September 27, 2012 @ 12:42 am

I’ ve been in hopital for 5 months recovering from abdominal surgery
    (actualy there’s a little more to it than that but I’m trying to keep this
    short and sweet)
    Anyway on a Nothing By Mouth restriction until 2weeks ago when dr’s allowed me
    clear lq’s then on monday I was up graded to full lqr’s. …

This note finaly goes to point I want your sausage and wild rice casserole
    It’s that perfect yummy stuff that makes you feel the love this going on to
    My first meals list….
    Susan

20. 20

Mark — November 21, 2012 @ 8:50 am

Give me this entire dish, a fork (a spoon or, you know, my hand will do in a pinch), a TV tray, and the remote, and you’re looking at a fat and happy camper for Thanksgiving. Very happy. And very fat.

21. 21

Ginni Anderson — December 13, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

So where DOES Publix hide their Golden Mushroom Soup? I was there today and couldn’t find it.

• Beth replied: — December 14th, 2012 @ 9:48 am

uh oh! That makes me nervous. I so hope they didn’t quit carrying it! It’s been a while since I’ve purchased, but it was always with all of the other Campbell’s soups. I’m going to the grocery tomorrow, so I’ll check my neighborhood store. Do you live here in Nashville or somewhere else?

22. 22

3/31 Menu | taylorseast — March 31, 2013 @ 6:44 am

[...] Day 3-  Sausage and Wild Rice Casserole [...]

23. 23

10/20 Menu | taylorseast — October 20, 2013 @ 5:24 am

[...] 2-  Sausage Rice Casserole with side [...]

24. 24

What to Cook Wednesday (WTCW) #39 - Just Us Four — November 4, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

[...] I saw the picture for this sausage and wild rice casserole and was hooked. I am lover of most things involving rice so adding sausage just makes it that much [...]

25. 25

Margaret — December 10, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

I’ve made this 4 times now. Twice with the sausage, twice without. The first time (and it is probably a personal preference)…it was slightly dry & salty. But, tasty enough to make again. The 2nd time..I added 1/2 of a soup can of water(to the final mixture) and used 1/2 of the seasoning mixture when boiling the rice. It balanced. The last 2 times I made it without the sausage (I go through meatless phases) and it works really well.

I’m a fan from Wisconsin of your site. I’m trying to talk my husband into a vacation to Nashville next year. Big question….where is the closest horse track? lol. Regardless, I love reading your stuff and your cheddar apple crunch was a huge hit.

26. 26

Rilla — February 27, 2014 @ 7:01 pm

I’ve been making this recipe, almost, for 27yrs now. The differences are that I use Tarantino Breakfast Sausages, fried until cooked through, Uncle Ben’s Parboiled Rice, cooked. Cut sausages into bite size pieces, mix in with soup (1/4 soup can of evaporated milk/ 1/4 can of water, 1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce, sausages, granulated onion powder and pepper to taste. Mix well, put into casserole dish and bake approx. 30mins at 350 degs. until top is golden brown.

We serve this dish at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

27. 27

Rilla — February 27, 2014 @ 7:03 pm

The soup is cream of mushroom. Sorry … I forgot this detail.