Amuse of the Day:
chocolate fritter with salted caramel sauce and toasted macadamia nuts

For me, chocolate is not an every-once-in-a-while treat, it’s a daily necessity. I don’t need a lot of it, just a little nibble will do the trick, but it really is something I feel like I must have pretty much every day. Last week I tried to see how long I could go without a piece. I made it a whopping 36 hours.

So when Vivek, who used to live in D.C., suggested Co Co. Sala to me, it only took me reading the description “chocolate lounge specializing in desserts, coffee, pastries, gelato” for it to get added to the trip itinerary. Once I had a chance to look over the website more thoroughly and discovered the interesting brunch menu, I knew it was meant to be. While we already had a couple of fantastic dinners planned, we didn’t yet have a Sunday brunch spot. Done.

Aztec Cheese Enchilada
cheese enchilada, guava sauce, avocado, chipotle chocolate ganache, jalapeno jack cheese, shaved fennel and mache salad  with guava lime vinaigrette

Kandace and I decided to go all out and do the prix fixe menu option with three courses: an amuse, an entree, and a dessert. In addition we also added a side of chocolate bacon. I mean, really, how could we resist?

The meal started out with a bang as we cut into our fritters, and like a molten lava cake, warm chocolate poured out. Mixed with the rich salted caramel sauce, this luscious bite got me excited for what was still to come.

Breakfast Flatbread
cheddar hash browns, chicken sausage, scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, roasted tomato, hollandaise sauce, pesto flatbread

While the enchilada I chose was insanely delicious, I’d say that Kandace won the ordering contest (not that we we actually having a competition). Her breakfast flatbread wasn’t just bursting with gorgeous colors, the flavors were lively and intense as well.  Thankfully the portion was also quite large, so she was happy to share with me.

PB Cheesecake
peanut butter cheesecake, milk chocolate ganache and peanut brittle crunch

To close out the meal, I chose the peanut butter cheesecake, a rich confection topped with chocolate ganache and a sprinkling of peanut brittle that gave it some nice texture. As is typical of me, my eyes were bigger than my belly and I was only able to eat about half of it.

Well, perhaps my reaching across the table a few times to steal bites of my companion’s dessert had a little something to do with that ….

Onyx
dark chocolate mousse, vanilla creme brulee, salted caramel, brownie and chocolate crispy pearls

Kandace was definitely winning on this one too. I had to take a picture of the interior once we’d started to devour it so you could see the layers of mousse, creme brulee, salted caramel and brownie. Pure genius to combine all of those divine treats together, and definitely one of the best desserts I’ve had in a long, long, long time.

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate

But the star of the entire experience? The salted caramel hot chocolate. There is no way that I can adequately describe the look on Kandace’s face when she took her first sip of this hot chocolate. It makes me chuckle as I think of it now. That was some intense pleasure, and rightly so. This cup of heavenly liquid will forever be etched in our memories, making for a perfect ending to a wonderful weekend in  D.C.!

Co Co. Sala
929 F Street Northwest
Washington D.C., DC 20004-1405
(202) 347-4265

Interested in D.C. restaurants? Be sure to check out these posts too:

The Passenger and Rasika
Dinner at Zaytinya

15 Responses to “DC Day 3: Brunch at Co Co. Sala”

1. 1

Nashville Nosher — April 11, 2011 @ 5:49 am

YUMM now you have me craving chocolate at 7 a.m.!!!

• Beth replied: — April 11th, 2011 @ 7:39 am

haha! I know! Wish I had that Onyx dessert RIGHT NOW!

2. 2

Ally Garner — April 11, 2011 @ 8:44 am

Dear. God. I don’t know how you had the patience to take snapshots before demolishing each dish.

You should start selling tickets for people to join you on vacations Beth. Seriously, you’d make a killing!

• Beth replied: — April 11th, 2011 @ 8:50 am

Hey, that’s actually a really great idea….

3. 3

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking — April 11, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Oh my that chocolate and the peanut butter cheesecake look awesome!!

4. 4

Zarna Surti — April 11, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

yum!! vivek is in dc right now, i think it’s my turn to take a trip up there so i can eat all of this delicious food!

5. 5

Rosa — April 12, 2011 @ 11:46 am

What a great day to find you! I live in Nashville, but I’m from DC. Oh, I’m so jealous! Enjoy.

• Beth replied: — April 12th, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Welcome! So glad that you found me :-)

Have you been to any of the places I’ve mentioned? They were all just so incredible that it’ll be hard not to go back to them again on my next visit, but I know there are many other fabulous DC restaurants that I need to try too!

6. 6

Lindsay — April 17, 2011 @ 11:12 am

YUM!! I hope to be visiting D.C. at some point this year, and I’ve already added all your picks to my list!! Thanks for sharing!

7. 7

Nadette — April 20, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

Ok Ok Ok. I live too close to DC for me to not go to this place, and in the very immediate future! I promise to blog about it!

8. 8

Jeanette — February 3, 2012 @ 9:56 am

I’m so glad I came across your site! I was looking for a place to take my boyfriend for v-day (he’s in charge of planning our 3 year) and couldn’t think of anything new and exciting. Once I saw the salted caramel hot chocolate I KNEW I had to check the menu out. Fell in love with what they offered so I called them up and made reservations. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Congrats on the baby boy!

• Beth replied: — February 3rd, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

Love hearing this and can’t wait to hear about your experience!!

9. 9

Jeanette — March 21, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

Beth-

That place was AMAZINGGGGG! We got there early so we both ordered drinks at the bar I got a drink called FETISH: Fresh Strawberries / Chocolate-Infused Vodka / Strawberry Foam / Chocolate Dipped Berry

Below is everything I ordered…can we say diet for 2 months now!

Appetizers:
    -FOUR CHEESE FRITTERS:gruyère, parmigiano reggiano, roquefort, & cheddar / chipotle chocolate tomato cream sauce
    -TOMATO & BURRATA FLATBREAD:creamy burrata cheese / basil & oregano / white truffle oil / balsamic drizzle / parmesan basil pesto flatbread

Dinner:
    -SHRIMP MAC & CHEESE:mini penne / jack & cheddar / garlic shrimp / jalapenos ………lets face it I just wanted the dessert

Dessert:
    -CO CO. GROWN UP’:milk chocolate peanut butter gelato / bananas foster* / mini co co. cupcake* / malted shooter*
    -Two…yes TWO frozen Salted Caramel drinks

So glad I came across your site!

• Beth replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

Oh wow, that all sounds amazing! You make me want to go there again RIGHT NOW!

10. 10

Denise — September 13, 2013 @ 10:44 pm

Oh my goodness! I just ate there, two weeks ago, for a friend’s bridal shower. The food was so good! My daughter ordered the Breakfast Flatbread and I had the Smores French Toast. Both brunch meals were to die for and I can not wait until I have a chance to go back to DC for a second round.