Breakfast of Champions: Egg Muffins
We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day- especially true if you are embarking on a full day of drinking and sunshine, as I was on Saturday (Steeplechase)! To prepare myself and friends for the day ahead, I got up extra early to make something that would be easy for us to grab and go, no utensils or plates required.
My sister passed this recipe along to me several years ago and over time it has become my hubby’s standard weekday breakfast. I make a batch on Sunday, and then each morning he grabs a couple from the fridge, pops them in the microwave for a few seconds and he’s out the door, eating them as he goes!
The original recipe is as follows:
Scrambled Egg Muffins
1 lb pork sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
In a skillet, brown the sausage; drain. In a bowl, beat the eggs. Add onion, green pepper, garlic salt, and pepper. Stir in cheese and sausage. Spoon by 1/3 cupfuls into greased muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Now I’ll let you in on a little secret. I never follow the recipe exactly, I just use it as a guide. Here are a few of my changes/variations:
- To make them a bit healthier, I use only about 1/2 lb of sausage
- Typically instead of all whole eggs, use 8 egg whites and only 8 whole eggs
- Instead of regular cheddar, I usually use sharp cheddar for added flavor. However, there are times when I don’t have either of those, so mozzarella or 3-cheese blend are substituted
- Most of the time sauteed spinach is added to pack in extra nutrients
- Every now and then I’ll add a few sprinkles of crushed red pepper to give them a kick
There are so many modifications you could make to suit your personal taste- use ham instead of sausage (or even leave out the meat altogether), sub red peppers for the green, fancy them up by using goat cheese…the possibilities are endless. The ones pictured above have bacon, caramelized red & white onion, red pepper flakes, spinach, green pepper and sharp cheddar cheese.
If you give these a shot, report back and let me know how you made them your own!