May Food & Drink Happenings
Retro Sno Birthday Bash
Saturday, May 3rd, 2014
Noon – 5 pm
2500 West End Ave
Nashville, TN 37203
Retro Sno is celebrating two years of successful Snoball business TOMORROW with the #RetroTurns2 Birthday Bash at Centennial Park. Held in conjunction with the kickoff of the spring season Musician’s Corner, the bash will include giveaways, face-painting and an unveiling of their second truck.
Retro Sno fans and followers can submit their name ideas for the new truck on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram using the hashtag #RetroTurns2, and co-owners Morgan Williamson and Elizabeth Nunnally will select their favorite name from the entries, and announce it on stage during Musician’s Corner. The individual submitting the winning entry will receive a Retro Sno Season Pass, good for a free Snoball each day that the truck is open for business this Summer and Fall!
For more information about the birthday bash and the “Name That Truck Contest” visit the Retro Sno website.
2nd Annual Beer & Cheese Tasting
with Jackalope and The Bloomy Rind
Wednesday, May 7th, 2014
5:30 – 7:30 pm
Jackalope Brewing Co.
701 8th Ave South
Nashville, TN 37203
Cost: $25 in advance
$30 at the door
Beer and cheese are the perfect pairing- yes, really! Jackalope Beer and Bloomy Rind Cheese are coming together once again to benefit a fantastic cause, the Tennessee Respite Coalition. This organization helps family caregivers (people who spend much of their time caring for family members in need such as parents with Alzheimer’s, spouses with Parkinson’s or children with special needs) by giving them much-needed time off.
As my own family has faced a situation in the past, and is facing another one in the future where an organization like this could greatly relieve some stress, this is near and dear to my heart and I would love to see them raise lots of money to help many! So please, go eat some delicious cheese, drink some fantastic beer, and know that you’re helping some families that will be forever grateful!
To order your tickets click here.
Thursday, May 15th, 2014
6 – 9 pm
Nashville Farmers’ Market
900 Rosa Parks Blvd
Nashville, TN 37208
Cost: $50/person in advance ($60 at the door)
Urban Gardening Festival
Saturday, May 17th, 2014
9 am – 4 pm
UT Extension Demonstration Garden
Ellington Agricultural Center
5201 Marchant Drive
Nashville, TN 37211
This is such a cool event for any of you that are interested in gardening or even just planting a few containers like me. There are so many details to share that I think maybe the easiest and most readable way to do so is just to bullet them out for you, so here goes:
- Urban Gardening Festival is a FREE community event designed to educate and engage visitors with local artisans, exhibitors, gardeners and vendors from throughout the Greater Nashville area.
- Master Gardeners will be teaching how-to workshops on a wide variety of gardening methods and techniques suitable for the varied urban landscape of Nashville, including composting and fermentation, container and raised bed gardening, keyhole gardening, mushroom gardening, organic gardening, rain gardening, square foot and vertical gardening, and worms and vermiculture.
- Other specialized topics will be exhibited or presented by local agencies and nonprofits, and local entrepreneurs and vendors will also have artisanal products available for purchase.
- Many different varieties of plants, including annuals, herbs, and perennials, will be available to purchase throughout the event at the Master Gardeners of Davidson County’s annual Plant & Craft Sale as well as from select vendors.
For more information, visit the event page.
Thursday, May 29th and Saturday, May 31st, 2014
Celebrity Chef Dinner
Thursday, May 29th
Door open at 6 pm
Dinner at 7 pm
Challenge to the Chefs Brunch
Saturday, May 31st
10 a.m. – noon
One of our city’s best culinary events is coming up at the end of May, Savor Nashville. I’ve participated in this event every year since its inception in 2011, and it’s definitely one of my favorites. If you want a fancy dinner, they’ve got a fancy dinner. If you want a more casual meal, they’ve got that too! I’ll offer up more details next week and also have a fabulous giveaway to share with you, so stay tuned!
Generous Helpings Giveaway
~ Contest Closed ~
And the winner is…..
#29 Renee V
To enter for your chance to win 2 tickets to Generous Helpings being held on Thursday, May 15th, all you have to do is this:
1. Leave a comment telling me which restaurant you’re most excited to try at Generous Helpings, or what you’ve eaten at past years’ events that you loved the most!
For up to 3 additional entries, you can do any or all of the following. Note: You must leave a separate comment for each optional entry.
2. Follow Second Harvest on Twitter and tweet “The always fun & very delicious Generous Helpings is on 5/15 & @betheats has tickets to give away! Enter here: http://bit.ly/1mlMo01 ” then leave a comment telling me you’ve done so.
3. Like Second Harvest on Facebook and come back and tell me you did so (or just tell me you already do if that’s the case!)
4. Sign up for Second Harvest’s Email List and then come back and tell me you did so (or just tell me you’re already on it if that’s the case).
Contest ends on Wednesday, May 7th at 4 pm CST. Once the winner is chosen, I’ll make contact via email and post the name here on the blog. If that person doesn’t respond within 48 hours, I’ll be forced to choose another, so be sure to check your email!