Back when I featured Rumba, I showed you a few of my favorite items on the menu, one of them being the grilled, stuffed peppadews. Rumba is actually the first place I’d ever eaten or even heard of these little South African peppers but now I order them every time I go. Last weekend I was trying to come up with something interesting to take to a holiday shindig, and those bite size beauties came to mind.

I picked up a couple of jars at the grocery store, with the plan to try to closely recreate the Rumba dish by baking them in the oven. However, after tasting one straight from the jar with a little bit of goat cheese stuffed in it, I liked it so much that I decided not to mess with a good thing! I grabbed some chives from my backyard (don’t worry, I moved the pot inside once our temps hit freezing), chopped them up and mixed them into some softened goat cheese. Voila! Super simple, yet super flavorful, and a perfect party finger food.

Curious about where to find peppadews? Most larger grocery stores should carry them, and they’ll most likely be on the same aisle as pickles and olives. If they don’t have them there, you might be able to find them on the olive bar in the deli section as well.

When it comes to the goat cheese, please know that it’s important to buy a really good one since it’s a major component of the dish. In my case, I used Belle Chevre, an award winning artisan goat cheese that is hand crafted in Elkmont, Alabama. Here in Nashville you can find their products in Whole Foods, but no matter where you live, you can always buy them online.

And guess what? As a special gift, Belle Chevre is offering my readers 25% off anything in their online store through the end of December! All you have to do is enter the code “Beth” when you check out. This is an amazing deal, so you should definitley take advantage of it. Be sure to check out their awesome gift baskets too- I know I’d be thrilled to have one show up on my doorstop for Christmas!

Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadews

Makes 25-30 bite size portions.

Ingredients:

5-6 oz soft goat cheese
1 jar peppadew peppers (approximately 30 peppers)
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp chopped fresh chives

Directions:

Drain peppers and set aside. Mix the goat cheese and 2 tablespoons of chives in a small mixing bowl. Use a 1/4 teaspoon to fill each peppadew with cheese mixture. Arrange on serving platter. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons of fresh chives.

Peppadew on FoodistaPeppadew

Disclaimer: I was provided samples of Belle Chevre at no cost to me, but was not required to share my opinion on the products. As always, any time I am given free products to try, I only write about them if I truly enjoy and feel that you will too!

17 Responses to “Meatless Monday: Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadews”

1. 1

Nashville Nosher — December 13, 2010 @ 7:27 am

those were so delicious, can’t wait to make them myself!

• Beth replied: — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:49 am

Thanks! Soooo easy and cute too ;-)

2. 2

Brandon — December 13, 2010 @ 9:04 am

We discovered goat cheese stuffed peppadews at our local Whole Foods and fell in love with them. Now we make these for parties, and they are always a hit. Here’s a tip: Use a pastry bag to easily fill the pepadews. If you don’t have one on hand, a freezer bag with the corner cut off works well. We mix freshly ground black pepper in the cheese (a tip from a Whole Foods employee), but I can’t wait to try the fresh chives.

• Beth replied: — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:44 am

Great tip Brandon! I’m making these for another party in a couple of weeks, so I’ll use the freezer bag idea to pipe the goat cheese in this time. I’m sure they’ll turn out a bit prettier than mine did ;-)

3. 3

ricejen — December 13, 2010 @ 9:28 am

We LOVE peppadews and got hooked on a trip to S.Africa so were excited to see them at Rumba and stores (Corrieri’s also sells them.) Thanks for the goat cheese version — I have another that uses sausage, black olives and a few other things. Tasty but more time consuming. ;-)

• Beth replied: — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:48 am

There are so many things you could put in them! I actually had planned to do some with chorizo (since Rumba’s are sprinkled with chorizo), but then decided to go the easy route and just do this simple preparation. For my Hand Me Down Holiday party, I might experiment with a few different things!

4. 4

Lori — December 13, 2010 @ 10:16 am

These look fantastic! I’ve never had peppadews before, but goat cheese is one of my favorite foods on the face of the planet ;)
    Thanks for sharing this–can’t wait to try them!

5. 5

Vivek Surti — December 13, 2010 @ 10:46 am

Loved this dish!

6. 6

sarah — December 13, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

Beth! this looks soooo delicious. goat cheese is on the top of my fave cheese list. so creamy.

• Beth replied: — December 13th, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

I eat goat cheese like it’s going out of style!! One of my favorite snacks is a dab of goat cheese on a cracker topped with a hot peach chutney from Whole Foods. Yum!

7. 7

Lesley — December 13, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

These were so tasty–I had no idea they were so easy, too! Though I am tempted to see how the taste would change when the peppers are roasted. Hrm.

• Beth replied: — December 13th, 2010 @ 9:39 pm

Me too. I have 2 more jars at home right now and will probably do a little experimenting with them this weekend. I’m planning to serve them again in some incarnation at another party in a couple of weeks….

8. 8

Renee — December 30, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

Just discovered this blog through NFM . . . love NFM and can’t wait to try the peppadews!!!!

• Beth replied: — December 30th, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Welcome! I’m actually making them for my NYE party tomorrow night. They are soooo good and easy!!

9. 9

FOODIE FRIDAYS: GOAT CHEESE. « how my day just got better. — July 29, 2011 @ 5:30 am

[...] shortcake with goat cheese cream {from love & olive oil}goat cheese stuffed peppadews {from eat. drink. smile.}pasta with zucchini and goat cheese {from real simple}peach and goat cheese tea sandwich tartines [...]

10. 10

A Fab, Fun Party in No Time Flat — August 17, 2012 @ 9:33 am

[...] Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadew Peppers – This is one of my personal favorites and an appetizer I’ve served many times to rave reviews. [...]

11. 11

Equestranista Holiday Party – Part 1 @ The Equestrianista — December 20, 2012 @ 12:41 am

[...] eat-drink-smile.com via The Equestrianista on [...]